On 11th December at Kumara Raja Muthiah Hall, Chettinad Vidyashram (Margazhi Mahotsavam)
S.Varadarajan – Violin
Neyveli Venkatesh – Mridangam
Tripunithura Radhakrishnan – Ghatam
Concert Duration: 2 hrs 15 min
List of Songs:
1. siddhi vinAyakanE – kalAvati – Adi – Kavikunjara Bharati
2. poo mEl vaLarum – Anandabhairavi – Adi – Mazhavai Chidambara Bharati – rAgA outline; swarams at poo mEl
3. uLLam urugi – kanakAngi – rUpakam – AlApana – Suddhananda Bharati
(Suddhananda has composed in all 72 mela karthAs. kanakAngi is the 1st melakarthA)
4. karuNai tandennai – bEgaDA – misra cApu – Mazhavai Chidambara Bharati – AlApana; neraval & swarams at anbarkkaruL kaTAkSi akhila bhuvana sakSi
5. deivam undenRu nambu manamE – kalyANi – Adi – Kavikunjara Bharati – AlApana; swarams at deivam
6. ivan yArO – kAmbhOji – misra cApu – Kavikunjara Bharati (part of his Azhagar Kuravanji) – rAgA outline
7. pAril uyarnda nilam (viruttam) – Suddhananda Bharati – kharaharapriyA, yadukula kAmbhOji, sindhu bhairavi, mOhanam, paTdIp
en tAi vAzh enum mandiram – paTdIp – Suddhananda Bharati
8. suruTTi – rAgA outline
A concert full of never-before-heard (for me, at least) songs! Sanjay continues to amaze us with his ever-increasing repertoire!
The concert had me engrossed in it right from the serene siddhi vinAyakanE in kAlAvati. The Anandabhairavi song embellished by some beautiful kalpanA swarams and the elaborate kanakAngi AlApana (again an unfamiliar rAgA to me) were a real treat.
But it was bEgaDA that made my day. The delightful AlApana, the brigAs at anbarkkaruL, the word dharmasamvardhani, the swarams! Sanjay’s bEgaDAs are always so very special!
I couldn’t fully enjoy kalyANi, as always.
The last piece, Suddhananda Bharati’s pAril uyarnda nilam, was beautiful and it had beautiful lyrics! It was great seeing the audience applaud when the lyrics referred to our country!
Varadarajan was excellent! I continue to find Neyveli Venkatesh’s playing boring.
By now, I am sure even those who couldn’t attend this concert would have caught it on TV and didn’t you all enjoy this concert? 🙂