The songs of Vaaranam Aayiram are what I have been listening to since morning today. As is the case with most of Harris Jeyaraj’s songs, all the songs have an already-heard-before feel to it. No song is bad though. Here’s my ranking of the songs:
7. Anul Maele by Sudha Raghunathan – The most boring song
6. Ava Enna by Karthik and Prasanna – Another boring song with classic dappankutthu beats. I liked the humming interlude at 3:05 till 3:33.
5. Yethi Yethi by Benny Dayal, Naresh Iyer and Solar Sai – An OK song when compared to the previous two songs. The first part of humming at 0.20 is very similar to the tune of the line un vizhiyil vizhundhaen of suttum vizhi sudare. How many more times is the same tune going to be used?
4. Adiye Kolluthey by Benny Dayal, Krish and Shruti Haasan – Didn’t find anything extraordinary about this song too. Since this song and Yethi Yethi have fast beats, these will anyway be liked by anybody.
3. Oh Shanthi Shanthi by Clinton and S.P.B.Charan – This song that has been sung quite well by Clinton and Charan is the first song that I kind of liked. I felt that this song has a feel of the song mudhal naaL (from Unnale Unnale) to it.
2. Nenjukkul Peindhidum by Hariharan, Devan and Prasanna – I was looking forward to listening to this song since this has been sung by Hariharan. This is a very soft and melodious song. I like it for the guitar and Hariharan’s voice.
1. Mundhinam by Suriya, Naresh Iyer and Prashanthini – This is the song that I liked instantly. I am listening to it on repeat mode now. 🙂 This song starts with dialogues by Suriya. There are only a few heroes whose voices I like. Suriya is one of them. There is no sound other than Suriya’s voice initially and just as he says ‘nee avLo azhagu’ (I wish he could pronounce zha properly though), guitar starts. Nice. 🙂 After the perfect dialogue delivery by Suriya, there couldn’t have been a better voice than Naresh’s to start the song. 😉 Naresh Iyer is the perfect choice for this song! My friend and I just couldn’t stop raving about Suriya and Naresh Iyer’s voices throughout our lunch break. 😀 Though Prashanthini has sung well, she fades in comparison to Naresh. 😉