R.K.Shriramkumar – Violin
T.V.Vasan – Mridangam
Anirudh Athreya – Khanjira
Where & When? – CLT, IIT Madras on 11th August
Songs list (partial):
1. Varnam – Kalyani – Adi – Swarams
2. Vinata suta – Jayantasena – Swarams at mata badha
3. ninnu sevinchina – Yadukula kambhoji – Alapana, neraval at Kanakangi
4. Brovaradha sri – Varunapriya – Raaga outline
5. Upacharamulanu – Bhairavi – Alapana, neraval & swarams at kapata nataka
6. Veenabheri – Abheri (the supposedly correct Abheri 😉 ) – Raaga outline
7. Raagam Taanam Pallavi – Nattai (had to leave just as the tanam started)
I never thought I would say this, but yesterday’s concert was boring. I still can’t believe that I found a concert of T.M.Krishna so boring! :O
As is the case with many of his concerts, this one too didn’t start on time. The concert was supposed to start at 6:45 pm but it was only at 6:45 did the artists enter the auditorium. The concert finally started at around 7:10, thanks to the tuning of Tambura that always takes up a lot of time in TMK’s concerts & the poor mike arrangement.
Coming to the concert, there were only a few parts that I really liked, like the Jayantasena swarams, the Varunapriya kriti and some phrases in the Bhairavi swarams. TMK forgot most of the lyrics of the charanam of ninnu sevinchina. My mind was wandering away from the concert when he was singing the Bhairavi alapana. Even the neravals, that I always look forward to in TMK’s concerts, didn’t appeal to me much yesterday. So when I had to leave when the RTP was in progress, I left without even one bit of regret for having to leave in the midst of the concert.