Mridangam – Tiruvarur Vaidyanathan
Violin – Shertalai Sivakumar
Khanjira – Alathur T.Rajaganesh
Where & When? – Chettinad Vidyashram (Margazhi Mahotsavam) on 5th December
Concert Duration: 1 hr 15 min?
Songs List: (Incomplete)
1. natajana pAlini – naLinakAnti – swarams at parama krpAkari
2. vAnanai – kIravANi – Alapanai; neraval & swarams at vIranai viDamuNDanai
3. nija marmulanu – umAbharaNam
4. mInAkshi mEmudam – pUrvikalyANi – Alapanai; neraval & swarams at vINa gAna
5. sEndanai kandanai (viruttam) followed by kArtikEyanai kaNNAra kANa – kApi – raaga outline
I reached the venue just as Gurucharan was singing swarams in naLinakAnti. naLinakAnti – What a beautiful raaga to begin the evening with! 😉 Besides, the fact that naLinakAnti is the one that I am hooked to these days, thanks to Sandeep Narayan’s awesome pAlaya sadA (Do check it out here), made me feel so happy listening to it.
Anyway, coming back to the concert, Gurucharan sang quite well. I liked his alapanas and the fast-paced nija marmulanu. Though I did feel that the violinist’s pUrvikalyANi alapana wasn’t that great, I was later left wondering if it was because of the way the not-that-great sound system was making the violin sound!
Though I did like the concert, I didn’t find anything that special to make me want to go for Gurucharan’s concert today also. So, I have dropped my plans of going to his concert today.