On 19th December at Vani Mahal (Sri Thyaga Brahma Gana Sabha)
S.Varadarajan – Violin
Srimushnam Raja Rao – Mridangam
Trichy Murali – Ghatam
Concert Duration: 3 hrs
List of Songs:
1. ErA nApai (varNam) – tODi – Adi
2. sUryamUrtE – sowrASTram – catuSra jati druva
3. enduku nirdaya – harikAmbhOji – Adi – AlApana; neraval at parama pAvana, uduta bhakti, dharalO (and other caraNams too?)
4. kandA vandaruL – AbhEri – Adi – swarams at kandA
5. ennEramum (with extra caraNams pancAkSara, sIla maruvum) – dEvagAndhAri – Adi
6. rAgam tAnam pallavi – tODi
Pallavi: nelatA marulu koTti rAni pai cala sadA?? – Adi (4 kaLai) changed to Adi (2 kaLai)
swarams in tODi, bilahari, kAnaDA, hamsAnandi, ?, sahAnA, ranjani, kApi, hindOLam, hamIr kalyANi, bEgadA, Anandabhairavi, valaji, shaNmukhapriya, sArangA, janaranjani, Arabhi, hamsadhwani, mAyAmaLavagowlai, behAg, bhAgESri, rEvati, bowLi?, calanATTai, naLinakAnti, bhahudhAri, suruTTi
(rAgam – 35 minutes, tAnam – 15 min, pallavi – 15 min, swarams in 2 kaLai – 10 min, tani – 20 min, rAgamalikA – 10 min)
7. khamAs – kaDaikkaN pArvai – Adi – rAgA outline
8. mAtaDa bAradEnO – khamAs – misra cApu
9. tillAnA – khamAs – Adi
10. nI nAma rUpamulaku – sowrASTram
This was the second concert in which Sanjay sang Dikshitar’s navagraha kIrtana of the day. I liked his rendition of the same.
ennEramum with extra caraNams that I don’t think I have listened to before was nice.
After that came the most elaborate tODi AlApana that I have listened to. 35 minutes AlApana itself was great! Varadarajan’s playing was also awesome! But by the time the pallavi was in progress, I did start losing my concentration a bit. How can I, after all, listen to tODi for so long? 😉 I found the 1 hr tODi that Sanjay at Narada Gana Sabha in December 2008 more special than this.
After a nice tani Avartanam he sang a rapid-fire rAgamAlika swarams in 27 rAgAs that the grand RTP rightly deserved! The fast swarams with each rAgam lasting 1.5 Avartanam each (except the suruTTi which went on a little longer) was mind-blowing!
It was khamAs unlimited after the RTP with 3 beautiful songs in khamAs bringing the concert to a finish.