Sanjay Subrahmanyan – Vocal
S Varadarajan – Violin
Neyveli Venkatesh – Mridangam
Anirudh Athreya – Khanjira
When & Where? – Music Academy Mini Hall on 1st December
1. Sami nee rammanave – Kedaram
2. Bhavanuta naa hridayamuna – Mohanam (Swarams at Bhavanuta)
3. Nee madhi – Ananda Bhairavi
4. NaaDaaDina maata – Janaranjani (Neraval & Swarams at talaku vaccina bAdha talapAgaku – hope the lyrics is correct)
5. Korina Varamosagu – Ramapriya (Neraval at Sari Vaariko)
6. KaaNa kaNNaayiram – Nilambari
7. Raa Raa Raghuveera – Atana
8. Shantamulekha – Sama (Swarams at Shantamu) (Main piece of the concert)
9. Vishweswar Darshan kar – Raagamalika (Sindhu Bhairavi and two other raagams I couldn’t identify at that time)
10. Haritasulu vedale – Yamun Kalyani
11. Pittam theLiya – Senchurutti
12. Mangalam – Sowrashtram
On December 1st last year, Sanjay’s was the first concert of the Season I went to. Exactly a year later, after attending some 15 concerts of Sanjay in between, I attended yet another excellent concert by Sanjay. I would say this one year saw him outperforming himself with each concert. 😉
It was nice to hear my favourite combo, Sanjay & Varadarajan, after a long time. A 2-hour 50-minute concert that had excellent alapanas of Ananda Bhairavi, Janaranjani, Ramapriya, Nilambari (just a raaga outiline), Atana, Sama and Sindhu Bhairavi – what more can you ask for? 🙂 I loved the Ananda Bhairavi, Janaranjani, Nilambari and Atana alapanas/songs especially. This was one concert where each and every moment including the Tani Avartanam would have been enjoyed by everyone.
Ever since I heard Sanjay sing Haritasulu Vedale way back in a concert in 2002, I have been waiting to hear it again and the wait turned out to be indeed a long one since I heard him sing it again only in this concert!
The audience sitting around me surprisingly didn’t sing/hum along in spite of many raagas being popular ones. I wish the audience was like this in all the concerts.
With Sanjay starting the Season with such an excellent concert, I can’t wait for the next Thursday to come soon since that’s when I will next be going to Sanjay’s concert.