Sanjay Subrahmanyan – Vocal
S.Varadarajan – Violin
Harikumar – Mridangam
Udupi Sridhar – Ghatam
Where & When? – Mudhra on 28th December
Concert Duration: 3 hrs 5 min
1. Nee Vanti (Varnam) – Nilambari – Ata Taalam – Raaga outline
2. Brocheva – Sri Ranjani – Swarams at Brocheva
3. Sudhamayi – Amritavarshini – Alapana
4. Abhimaana – Begada – Alapana, Swarams at Abhimaana
5. Enneramum Undhan – Devagandhari
6. Srinivasa – Karaharapriya – Neraval & Swarams at Kamalajaa manohara sreekara karuNaarasa jaladhara (Main piece)
7. KaNmaNiye – Saaranga – Raaga outline
8. Raagam Taanam Pallavi – Gowlai
Taanam in Gowlai, Nattai, Aarabhi, Varali and Sri
Pallavi: karuNai varumo kancha nammai kaattharuLa un
9. Nagumomu – Abheri
10. Modi jesavelara – Khamas – Raaga outline
11. Vizhikku thuNai (Viruttam) followed by Manadhirkkugandhadhu – Sindhu Bhairavi
12. Mangalam – Sowrashtram
Each concert of Sanjay’s seems to be better than the previous one! I felt this was probably the best concert I have heard in this season till now!
The varnam in Nilambari was so beautiful. The Amritavarshini alapana was fantastic. After a long time, I finally got to listen to an elaborate Begada alapana by Sanjay! The Begada alapana itself lasted some 9 minutes. Varadarajan played an equally brilliant Begada alapana as Sanjay. After a nice rendition of the song Abhimaana, the swarams at the end, especially the MGRSNSG part was simply superb! Sanjay started Enneramum with the anupallavi, tennancholai tazhaikkum.
The Karaharapriya alapana by both Sanjay as well as Varadarajan was excellent. This is the first time I am listening to the Karaharpriya song, Srinivasa. Awesome neraval and swarams in Karaharapriya. Am running short of words to describe the concert!
After the beautiful kaNmaNiye in Saranga, came the excellent RTP in Gowlai! With the taanam being sung in 5 raagams, one couldn’t have asked for more! Nagumomu after the RTP was a surprise piece. It was very well rendered by Sanjay. The Sindhu Bhairavi at the end was so moving.
At the end of this concert too, Sanjay received a standing ovation! It was a very satisfying concert and this will always remain a concert to remember. 🙂