Sanjay Subrahmanyan – Vocal
S.Varadarajan – Violin
Tanjavur Ramdoss – Mridangam
K.V.Gopalakrishnan – Khanjira
Where & When? – Sivagami Pethachi Auditorium (Kalpa Druma Arts & Artists Festival) on 9th August
Concert Duration: 2.5 hrs
1. chalamu seya – Hindolam
2. Yochana – Darbar – Swarams at Yochana
3. Dehi tavapada – Sahana – Alapana
4. Akshayalinga vibho – Sankarabharanam – Alapana, neraval & swarams at Badari vanamula nayikAsahita (Elaborate piece)
5. Sivakama Sundari – Mukhari (Started with the anupallavi, bhavaroga)
6. ardhanAreeswaram – Kumudakriya – Alapana, Swarams
7. Saravanabhava – Madhyamavati – Alapana, Swarams at Saravanabhava – Tani Avartanam
8. oorile kaaNi (viruttam) followed by Karpooram naarumo – Khamas
9. Ghanta maNi – Kanada – Raaga outline
10. aaDum mayilaai (viruttam) followed by Kalpakambikai – Behag
11. Maavalla gadhama – Maand
12. orumai uDan – Kapi
13. Mangalam – Sowrashtram
Went to a Sanjay’s concert today after a long time and what a concert it was!
The concert had my most favourite raagam, Sahana. Yay! Today’s Sahana alapana by Sanjay & Varadarajan was so beautiful! Pure bliss. 😉 Even as I was lost in the beauty of Sahana, the Sankarabharanam that followed next was awesome! I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a Sankarabharanam as much as I did today! Sanjay’s rendition of Akshayalinga vibho was too good! Next was my favourite Sivakama sundari. I love the kaeLaayo part in this song. The Kumudakriya alapana, the fast-paced swarams in Kumudakriya, the beautiful Madhayamavati alapana, the Tani Avartanam – superb!
I got to hear Ghanta maNi, a song that is part of Gopalakrishna Bharati’s ‘Nandanar charitram‘, after a long time. Incidentally, Sanjay sang it at the same venue during the December Season in 2006.
I can never have enough of aaDum mayilaai viruttam & Kalpakambikai – Beautiful song! hari magizhum sahodhari kapAli manohari – This line is my favourite. I felt that unlike how it is usually, Sanjay’s today’s rendition of Kalpakambikai was such that each and every word was clearly audible.
Mavalla gadhama that had many in the audience enjoying it very much and orumai uDan were fitting finale to the excellent concert!